Linen fabric has been around for millennia, originating more than thirty-six thousand years ago. This natural fabric is made from the fibers of the flax plant, making its production a very laborious process. However, since the fabric manufactured with these fibers is extremely strong, durable, adsorbent, it is absolutely worth the extra effort. Another advantage of the linen fabric is it dries out much faster than cotton. This makes it perfectly suitable for hot and humid climates, like the Indian summers. Let’s get some confusion out of the way as we read on about linen fabric and stylish linen clothes.
Is Linen Fabric same as ‘Linens’?
No. Linen fabric is absolutely not the same as ‘linens’, or ‘bed linens.’ There seems to be a common misconception rooted in the history of the fabric which has given birth to this confusion. Up until the last century, linen was the go-to choice of the rich and wealthy when it came to choosing the fabric of their bedsheets, pillowcases, etc. This gave rise to the terms like ‘home linens’ or ‘bed linens.’
However, with time and technological advancements, this choice changed from linen fabric to cotton and other blend fabrics. This rendered the term ‘linens’ nearly obscure from common parlance. Nevertheless, it is very common even in 2019 to confuse ‘linens’ with linen fabric. But don’t worry, we’ve prepared a detailed guide to ensure you become an expert in linen fabric.
Why is linen so popular among designers?
Linen has unique properties that makes it so popular, especially in India. Kurtis, sarees, shirts, skirts made using linen fabric are a special hit with the smart consumer in India for various reasons. We’re listing a few such reasons below. This will help you understand why linen holds such a position of prominence with designers not just in India, but all over the world.
- Linen absorbs moisture and lets it evaporate quickly, making it a very comfortable fabric for humid summers.
- Linen also has unique ventilating capabilities which makes it bacteria resistant.
- The anti-allergenic properties of linen make it an excellent choice for both bedding as well as clothes.
- Linen is a completely natural fabric.
- While cotton is considered soft, linen is actually even softer and more durable.
- Not many people know this, but if you have used linen in the past, you would’ve realized that not only does it repel dirt, but the flax fibers ensure that it gets softer and shinier with each wash.
- Linen fabric tends to resist lint, which means you can store it throughout winters and take it out the next summer looking as good.
- Linen can extremely long-lasting, which makes it a great choice for designer clothes in India.
- Environmentally, linen is a boon. This natural fabric is very environment-friendly and absolutely sustainable.
- Linen is also an excellent choice for anyone with sensitive skin thanks to its anti-allergenic properties, softness, and naturally cooling nature.
Given all these amazing linen fabric qualities, it is not a surprise that linen fabric in India is an absolute hit with the designers and the distinguished consumers.
What should you check for before buying linen fabric?
Whether you’re buying linen for upholstery or for garments, there are some things you need to keep in mind. This is applicable even when you’re buying readymade linen garments. All linen fabrics are not the same, and it is important to understand the difference to make the right choice. At Yell, we work with 100% linen, but there are other types of linen in the market as well. For example, there is linen-polyester and linen-cotton. All these blends have different qualities making them suitable for different purposes, climates, situations, and garments.
Let’s see how you can make the right choice while buying linen fabric in India, or anywhere else in the world:
- Thread count is your friend: Before anything else, thread count is the one main measure that can help you understand the quality of linen you’re buying. Thread count can also decide the intended use of the linen fabric you decide to buy. If you’re buying linen fabric online, make sure you read the listing properly and check the thread count mentioned. If you’re buying it in a brick-and-mortar store, always ask the store clerk or manager for details. So how does it work?
To put it simply – the higher the thread count, the better the linen fabric. But higher thread count will also mean a higher price. So, if you’re out to buy beddings, you may want to buy a higher thread count for absolute comfort and long-lasting product. For clothing too, a higher thread count is suggested to get extended use, and prime comfort. With Yell’s 100% natual linen fabric, you can rest assured all your garments will be comfortable and stunning.
- Why stick to the same colours? Experiment a little!: While natural linen comes in a variety of shades ranging from pure white to beige, dyed linen also gives your linen clothes an edge. Linen’s natural sheen, when compared with beautiful bright shades, makes a distinct piece of clothing that you’re bound to love!
So, don’t stick to only the traditional choices for designer linen clothing. Express your style in the colours you like. Looks sharp, stay comfortable, and slay in style – with linen fabric clothing!
- Are you sure you’ve picked the right type of linen fabric?: This is probably the simplest and yet one of the most overlooked aspects when buying linen fabric or garments made of linen. Some common types of linen fabrics that are available are burlap and novelty. You can also find linen in solid and wide width types. Sheer linen is an all-time favourite and metallic type is also being used increasingly. So, depending on your required usage, you can make an informed choice.
- When it comes to linen, size does matter!: Both size and width are important considerations while buying linen fabric. There’s great variety in the sizes and widths of linen fabrics, and it all depends on the specific intended use, type of linen, and the amount of fabric required. The width can range anywhere from 54 inches to 124 inches. The weight, on the other hand can range from 85 grams to nearly 400 grams depending on the quality.
It is important to understand the exact use of the fabric before you go out to buy it. Another excellent practice is to take exact measurements and buy a little extra fabric so you always have some backup if required.
- Here’s a bonus tip for you if you’re buying linen fabric in India: For linen garments, getting them tailored can be tough, since the services of designers and tailors who work with linen are, more often than not, quite expensive. So, if linen garments are on your mind, check out the exclusive 100% pure linen collection at Yell.
Want trendy clothes made with linen fabric? Read on!
If you’re off to a beach wedding, whether as the wedding party, a guest, or even as the bride or groom, choosing outfits made of linen will make your day an absolute breeze. The beautiful colour tones of linen fit in with any beach wedding theme. The breezy, flowy fabric adds a dreamy effect to your appearance and keeps you cool throughout.
Now imagine a similar scenario, but it’s a hot summer day and you’re off to a meeting. Do you really want to wear that structured dress or stifling suit in thick fabrics? Opt for linen garments and watch in awe as it adds grace, elegance, and panache to your style. Using linen shirts for men, and skirts and Kurtis for women is a wise choice for office wear as it keeps you comfortable throughout the day. It is also easy to wash and care for.
In case you’re confused about where to buy trendy clothes made out of linen fabric, you have a plethora of options both online and offline. Unfortunately, it is also easy to get swindled by a local trader claiming their linen blend is 100% pure linen. To avoid any unfortunate shopping experiences, head to Yell.
Experienced designer Divya Gupta’s brand Yell works with all-natural fabrics, especially 100% linen – which is their specialty – to create some of the trendiest clothes that are absolutely on-point today and age well into the classics of tomorrow. You get authentic fabrics, designer styles, comfortable couture, and most importantly – high-quality designer apparel that is easy on the pocket without compromising on style and substance.
Now that you know everything there is to know about linen fabric, its qualities, the types, and also how to choose the right linen for your particular requirement, don’t fret too much. Take all this knowledge and use it to your advantage.
From bedding, upholstery, to designer clothes, linen is everywhere and waiting for you to discover the amazing properties of this fantastic fabric.